After I told my sister about Chia (a blog is coming all about it soon) she found a recipe for jam in one of her fitness mags she reads. I don’t think it was the actual “Fitness” mag that she got it from. After reading them for a while they are pretty much the same – they start to blend together. Anyway, we made the jam together. After making it and tasting it we both decided we would never have to make the traditional jam again!
5 reasons to make Power Jam
- it’s easy
- only has 3 ingredients
- no sugar
- it’s fast
- it tastes good (especially on toast with some natural peanut butter)
Here is the simple recipe
- 4 C frozen mixed berries (any red variety)
- ½ C chia seeds
- 1 tbsp raw honey or 4 tbsp banana powder
- Let berries thaw, then use a potato masher to mash fruit to desired consistency (do not drain juice)
- Add chia seeds and sweetener of choice and mix together with spoon.
- Let mixture stand for 15 minutes.
- Store in refrigerator for up to a week for later use.
It’s that simple and that good. It does mean that if you eat a lot of jam you will be going through a lot of berries. I am one person, and I don’t eat a lot of jam, so I might try making a half recipe. Although, perhaps if I made it then I would eat it more. Since it is not full of sugar like other homemade jams (and store bottom at that) then you could even throw a couple spoonfuls into a smoothy. The chia seed has great health benefits and so do the berries. I have not tried this, but I’m sure it will be good.
Have you tried Chia before? What’s your favourite kind of jam?