“The seeking out of solitary places was a regular practice for Jesus. So it should be for us.”
Times Jesus found solitude:
- 40 days in the desert (Matt 4:1-11)
- Before he chose the 12 disciples (Luke 6:12)
- Before John the Baptist’s death (Matt 14:13)
- After the feeding of the 5 thousand (Matt 14:23)
- After a long night of work (Mark 1:35)
- Jesus told his disciples to go to a lonely place after a time of preaching and healing (Mark 6:31)
- After the healing of a leper (Luke 5:16)
- with three disciples (Matt. 17:1-9)
- and I am sure there are more
Since Jesus did this and we are to be like Christ and have an attitude like him, we should do this too. Let me tell you, it isn’t easy. Well, maybe it is for you, but it wasn’t for me. I don’t have a problem with being alone. It was hard doing the listening part. Being silent. Yes, I have been silent before, but I am usually doing something while I have been silent. So this time I had some silence and listening. I didn’t do it for hours, but it did happen, and it was good.
Also on my little retreat I did some much needed praying, reading, walking, admiring God’s creation, sleeping, soaking in the tub, singing, and drinking tea. If you get a chance to go away, even just for the day or even a few hours, then take it and relax and enjoy God.
For more on Spiritual Disciplines a good resource is:
Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth by Richard J. Foster
If you are getting this through email visit http://www.jackmansjourney.blogspot.com to visit my actual blog.