Have I mentioned that I love decorating cupcakes! I like making them too, but the best part is decorating them. My last post about cupcakes was about mixing Jello in the frosting. This time around I coloured the cupcakes to make a fun caterpillar. This was for my little buddies birthday party. He turned 4. What 4 year old doesn’t want a caterpillar made of cupcakes on his birthday?
How to Colour your Cupcakes:
- It is super simple! I was so surprised at how vibrant the colours were after the cupcakes were baked.
- Make a vanilla cake mix
- Separate the mix into 5 different bowls
- Add desired amount of Wilton gel colour into a bowl and mix together. Repeat for each bowl using a different colour.
- After each bowl is mixed with the colour of your choice put in muffin cups in the pan as you would for normal cupcakes and bake according to your recipe.
- If you want a rainbow cupcake, layer your colours. I had some left over colour so I put two colours in one cupcake.
I frosted the caterpillar cupcakes with a new frosting recipe I found, which might just be my go to recipe from now on, and added Lime Jello to make a green colour for the caterpillar. The book where I found the idea used white frosting. I think the green frosting added to the look of the caterpillar.
Would you rather bake & decorate the cupcakes or eat them? Drop me a line in the comments. I would love to hear from you!
Today’s Cupcake Creation came from The Cupcake Bible purchased from Khol’s while visiting Texas over the Christmas holidays.