I was browsing Pinterest and came across this healthy alternative to a pizza snack. I wanted to share the recipe with you and encourage you to try them if you are looking for a healthy snack. I just finished eating 5 of them and they are delicious! To see the original post where I found the recipe head on over to Southern Curls & Pearls.
As I continue to try to eat healthier, I know these will be something that I can turn to when I need a snack or even have them as a meal. They would make a great appetizer to an event. It’s always good to have a healthy recipe up your sleeve when you are invited to a potluck so that you are guaranteed to find at least one healthy choice.
The Recipe – Healthy Pizza Bites
- 1/2 C uncooked quinoa
- 1 egg
- 1/2 C fat free mozzarella cheese (I used marble and added a little extra)
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/4 C diced bell peppers (I left this out)
- 1 tsp minced garlic (remember fresh is best)
- 1 tsp dried oregano (I used summer savoury because I didn’t have any oregano)
- 1 tbsp dried basil (Did I mention fresh is best – I used about 6 – 8 med leaves and chopped them up)
- Dash of salt (oops – I forgot that)
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray a non-stick muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Combine quinoa with 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat and cook for 15 – 20 minutes (until quinoa is tender or water is gone). Fluff with fork. Leave covered on turned off burner for 5 – 10 min to soak up any extra water.
- Combine all ingredients into a mixing bowl until well mixed.
- Using a spoon or ice cream scoop, divide mixture between the muffin tin and press the mixture flat into the pan.
- Cook for 15 min or until golden on the top.
- Let cool and serve warm with pizza sauce for dipping (bottled spaghetti sauce works great too!)
If you are interested in the nutrition facts:
Thank you Cait for sharing this awesome recipe! I love it and I will definitely be making it again! Be sure to head over to Cait’s blog and check out some of her other posts (they are not all food related).
What’s the verdict? Are you going to be brave and try it out? Let me know what you think! I’d love to hear from you. You can comment below.
I definitely want to try these. Thanks for the info!